In-Person Appointments Resumed
Our office has reopened for in-person appointments if clients wish, but we also still offer telepsychology appointments for those who prefer having sessions from the comfort of their own home. Please see below for the procedures for attending an in-person appointment and for what measures we have put in place in the office to ensure the health and safety of our clients.
Please see our telepsychology page for details on having sessions in your own home.
In-Person Appointment Procedures
As part of in-person service, we are required by the Nova Scotia Health Protection Act Order to implement several new procedures in our office. Below are some of the procedures that we have put in place to be in keeping with the new orders:
- Please remain outside (e.g. stay in your vehicle) until your exact appointment time to reduce crowing in waiting areas and to support social distancing.
- For those accompanying a client for their sessions, please wear a mask while waiting in our waiting area for the client.
- Upon entering the office, we require all individuals to first use the hand sanitizer that we have made available.
- We ask all clients to please practice social distancing (staying at least 2 meters/6 feet apart) within the office, both in the waiting room and in the clinical offices.
- If someone enters our office and then later is discovered to have COVID-19, we may be required to give the names of all people who were in the office within the same window of time for contact tracing. This includes clients, companions, delivery people, psychologists and staff who are working in the office, and others who were in the office.
- Should a psychologist feel that they may have one or more COVID-19 symptoms, they will be required to self-isolate and not come into the office. Until there is verification that they are COVID-19 free, they must stay out of the office. This psychologist may choose to continue providing telepsychology services subject to their health.
- If you, or a person accompanying you, presents with COVID 19 symptoms prior to, or the day of your appointment, please call 811 and DO NOT attend your session in person.
We would be happy to provide you with telepsychology services until it is safe to come in person. If you or a person accompanying you answers YES to any of these three questions, please arrange for a phone or video session instead of coming into the office:
- Do you have ANY ONE of the following symptoms of COVID-19: fever, chills, sweats, cough or worsening of a previous cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sneezing, nasal congestion/runny nose, hoarse voice, diarrhea, unusual fatigue, loss of sense of smell or taste, red, purple or blueish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers without clear cause?
- Have you traveled outside of Nova Scotia within the last 14 days?
- Have you had unprotected close contact with individuals who have a confirmed or presumptive diagnosis of COVID-19 (e.g. individuals exposed without appropriate PPE in use)?
Steps That We Have Taken in the Office
- Tissues and no touch waste receptacles have been made readily available.
- Chairs in the waiting area and the clinical offices have been arranged to allow for physical distancing (i.e. at least 2 meters/6 feet apart).
- Toys, magazines, candies, tea cups, the water dispenser, and other shared items in waiting areas, as well as office items shared among clients, have been removed or will be cleaned between use.
- We are ensuring frequent cleaning with attention to high-touch surfaces, including light switches, doorknobs, phones, and our payment terminal.
- Our payment terminal accepts credit card payment by tap up to $250.
- We have placed hand sanitizing dispensers throughout our office.
- We have put visual cues in the waiting area and offices (i.e. floor markings) to promote a minimum of at least 2 meters/6 feet physical distancing.
- We have installed plexiglass barriers around the administration desk in the front office.
- We have created webforms for new clients to complete online
- We have encrypted secure procedures to secure clients credit card information so that payments can be done without contact
- We are emailing receipts to clients to reduce direct contact (unless the client requests a hard copy)
We will continue to update our approach to mitigating COVID-19 as new information arises. If you have any questions about the information above or the steps we have taken, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Team at Aulakh Psychological and Counselling Services